Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Something I have learned and the learning process

When I was in 5th grade I participated in our local youth track and field club. Through this club I learned how to throw both the shot put and the discus. In teaching these two things my coaches employed both the use of film and numerous drills that would eventually build up to the complete motion. As I was learning from the film and practicing the drills I began to understand how each movement had a direct impact on the next and how it would affect your over all throw. For example, in the discus if you were to be practicing a South African drill and on your second step you were to over rotate, and fall into the metaphorical bucket, your hips would open up too soon and you would most likely foul to the right (if you are right handed). this understanding of cause and effect was a pivotal part in the understanding of the mechanics of being a good thrower. But in finding this understanding I had to do drill after drill and continuously make mistakes and then ask why my mistakes resulted in the poor throw. This way of learning from failed attempts has helped me to learn in other areas without fearing failure but rather seeing it as a learning experience and gaining knowledge from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers